What is the preferred treatment for blood clots in the leg.?

Dr. William Lizarraga
In brief: Blood thinners
Usually, three or more months of blood thinners, such as warfarin, heparin, or enoxaparin, are the treatment of choice.
The exact medicine and duration of treatment depend on the clinical scenario.

In brief: Blood thinners
Dr. William Lizarraga
Dr. William Lizarraga
Dr. Allen Seely
The usual clinical scenario (situation) is :post operative or after long car ride, etc... But if the blood clot(s) in leg WAS NOT provoked then consider blood tests for 'hypercoagulablity' (clotting MORE readily)
Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Anticoagulants
Heparin, Lovenox and Coumadin (warfarin) usually for six months or longer if recurrent.
In severe cases patient my require thrombolytics to desolve the clot or even endovascular or open surgical removal in extreme cases.

In brief: Anticoagulants
Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery