What is the preferred treatment for blood clots in the leg.?

Blood thinners. Usually, three or more months of blood thinners, such as warfarin, heparin, or enoxaparin, are the treatment of choice. The exact medicine and duration of treatment depend on the clinical scenario.
Anticoagulants. Heparin, Lovenox and Coumadin (warfarin) usually for six months or longer if recurrent. In severe cases patient my require thrombolytics to desolve the clot or even endovascular or open surgical removal in extreme cases.