What is the best birth control for treating acne?

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology

In brief: Helps acne

Birth conrol pills are helpful for acne only while you are taking them.They do not clear acne completely and the response is variable.
Ortho tricyclen is a traditional choice. Other birth control can be used. Topical medications will still be necessary and if it is severe Accutane may need to be considered.

In brief: Helps acne

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried
2 comments
Dr. Lawrence Osman
There is no single best choice for birth control pills. Many can help. Keep in mind they often take a few months to see improvement and they often need to be combined with other treatments.
Dr. Michelle Chambers
I like ortho-tricyclen, yaz, yasmin or a generic eqivalent to these two. In my experience depo-provera tends to cause acne to flare.