My m#5 is broken in half-there's a huge lump where it's broken. I was told "no walking-weight on it at all"impossible, 3yr old, & a move-the outcome?

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: NON-UNION
A 5th meta-tarsal (foot) fracture needs immobilization for it to heal or risk a non-union.
A non-union is when the bones do not 'grow back together'. The 'bump' may be where the 'bones have shifted'. A bump (or callus) also forms when there is healing. A simple xray will tell what is going on. Podiatrists may prescibe a 'fracture boot' (looks like ski-boot) to wear for 6+weeks. Hang in there!

In brief: NON-UNION
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Nolan Segal
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Okay
Need to know how old the injury is.
It is better to put full weight on the foot so the mt head does not heal in a plantar position. If the fx is more proximal it is called a jones fx and could need surgery. It sounds as if you have the fx, not the 3yo.You will probably heal fine.

In brief: Okay
Need to know how old the injury is.
Dr. Nolan Segal
Dr. Nolan Segal
Dr. Daniel Farber
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle
In brief: Depends fx location
Depending on where on the bone the break is located, you may be ok to put weight on it.
But you would benefit from a cam walker boot. See an orthopaedic foot and ankle specialist.

In brief: Depends fx location
Dr. Daniel Farber
Dr. Daniel Farber
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Another possiblity
Could be the healing process which made that lump because no cast on it, this condition the bone ends rattle and irritation and big callus could form. I have been in practice for thirty year, I have not seen 3 years old with fracture metatarsal did no heal, but it could happen?

In brief: Another possiblity
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Shontae Buffington