Are low carb diets healthier than diets with whole grains, vegetables, fruit and lean proteins?

Not necessarily. There is no single diet that is best for everyone. I believe it is wise to minimize sugars and simple starches, but i believe a diet with whole grains, vegetables, fruit and low-fat proteins is healthier than a strict low carb diet (which is relatively high in fat and protein). See http://drrandybaker.Com/2013/01/20/diet-and-health/ for my essay on the pros and cons of various diets.
Balance. You need a balanced diet. Some diets are more appropriate than others if you have certain medical conditions.