What's the difference between Diovan (valsartan) 320 mg and lisinopril 40 mg?

Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Different class

One is an arb and the other one is lisinopril.
The doses are quite similar in effectiveness. Lisinopril can give you cough whereas Diovan (valsartan) does not.

In brief: Different class

Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. H Robert Silverstein
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: ACE I vs ARB

High BP medicines, like antibiotics work at various points in a series of events, much like the links of a chain; Diovan (valsartan) is in the class of medicines called "arb's" and works later in the hi BP chain.
Lisinopril (an ace i) works earlier in the chain of events that cause high blood pressure the mg.Numbers" you gave are quite comparable. Arb's like Diovan (valsartan) have fewer side effects than ace i's.

In brief: ACE I vs ARB

Dr. H Robert Silverstein
Dr. H Robert Silverstein
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology