After a high ankle sprain 6 weeks ago, I am still experiencing discomfort at my achilles' tendon and heel when i plantar flex my foot. Why is this?

In brief: High ankle

Sprain is different than a regular sprain and usually take the syndesmosis tissue longer to heal between tibia and fibula.

In brief: High ankle

Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Podiatry

In brief: Achilles pain

Sorry about your sprain.
Your achilles tendon is a nearby structure and during your sprain, you may have also damaged your nearby structures or the swelling from the sprain can cause pain around the area. Also, sometimes posterior ankle impingement at the joint cause pain when plantarflexing. Best of luck.

In brief: Achilles pain

Sorry about your sprain.
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Welcome! If you have other questions, please let me know. Also, please vote for or follow my profile if you can. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine