When heart attack is suspected is it permissible to give blood thinners before ruling out aortic dissection?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

Heart attacks occur much more often than aortic dissections.
I would not blame anybody for trying to protect or treat for a heart attack with anticoagulants at least aspirin. In order to rule out dissection you need an angiogram or ct scan which is time comsumming. If fibrinolytics are considered (tpa (alteplase) or similar) i would probably wait to see the ct scan first. Dissect. Gives asymm. Bps, back pain.

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Craig Carter
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: No

If the diagnosis is clearly a heart attack, then thrombolytic therapy or angioplasty/ stenting is the standard therapy.
If an aortic dissection is a possibility, it is imperative to rule this in or out before administering thrombolytics.

In brief: No

Dr. Craig Carter
Dr. Craig Carter
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine