Thinking of eyelid surgery, how long before all swelling gone?

Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Depends

....A lot on the individual, but usually 80-90% gone at a week, and for most patients gone by 1 month.
Makeup is ok after a week generally. Discuss any specific concerns with your surgeon to make sure everything is ok.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Renee Burke
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Weeks

The majority of swelling is gone in the first two weeks.
However, there may be residual swelling that gradually subsides over the next couple of weeks. My advice is to give yourself 6 weeks before an event where you may be photographed up-close.

In brief: Weeks

Dr. Renee Burke
Dr. Renee Burke
Dr. Scott Goldstein
Ophthalmology

In brief: Eyelid surgery

Swelling around the eyelids after surgery is at it's worst for the first 2-4 days and then settles quickly over 2-4 weeks for the most part.
It will take a few months to fully settle and heal.

In brief: Eyelid surgery

Dr. Scott Goldstein
Dr. Scott Goldstein
Dr. D'arcy Honeycutt
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: 2 weeks to 3 months

Depending on how extensive the procedure is (upper versus lower verses both) the swelling is not usually all gone until 3 months.
You might be socially acceptable at two weeks post op if you don’t get stubborn bruises. My advice is to wait 3 months before planning any major events after your surgery.

In brief: 2 weeks to 3 months

Dr. D'arcy Honeycutt
Dr. D'arcy Honeycutt
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery