I have taken macrobid, bactrim, (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) nitrofum and other meds that have failed with my chronic uti. Should I be taking something else or could I be misdiagnosed?

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis

In brief: Recurrent UTI's

Has a urine culture been done to determine what bacteria are causing the infections? Culture is accompanied by sensitivity testing to decide which antibiotic works best against the bacteria? Are you diabetic? Do you drink a lot of pop? You may have interstitial cystitis, which affects the bladder lining.
See a urologist for a thorough work-up and treatment.

In brief: Recurrent UTI's

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. David Hicks
better find out why you keep getting the same infection almost always falls into your court to determine why, Consider tight clothes, intercourse, sanitary napkin or tampon use lack of vaginal secretions or hormones/
Dr. Edward Neilsen

In brief: Culture

You need a culture.
..That can identify the specific bug, and what it is sensitive to.

In brief: Culture

You need a culture.
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. John Leander Po
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Source control?

If source control isn't achieved, then no abx will help.
This could range from an infected renal stone and anatomical issues leading to retention of urine, to physiologic problem (such as overactive bladder). Otherwise, an alternative diagnosis that mimics a UTI exists. Some situations demand specialists expertise - in some cases, an infectious diseases consult may be of benefit.

In brief: Source control?

Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. Jay Park

In brief: Resistant bug

It is utmost important to get urine culture and identify the causative organism(bug) before starting another antibiotics which will allow choosing most effective medicine.
Recurrent cystitis, common malady in sexually active women, generally requires short course of effective antibiotics. Voiding urine and taking antiuriseptic, e.g., uroquid, after sexual activity would be of help in prevention.

In brief: Resistant bug

Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Arnon Rubin