If my platelet count is low, what should I do? (139 thous/mcl).

Dr. Daniel Kessler

In brief: Monitor

Look at possible medication effect (i.
e. Aspirin) and or any supplements you might be taking. Also avoid any alcoholic beverages for a while if consuming and monitor for bleeding which would be unlikely with a count of 139 in most cases. Have your physician repeat the test. If it persists or worsens you should seek a hematologist for advice. Good luck.

In brief: Monitor

Look at possible medication effect (i.
Dr. Daniel Kessler
Dr. Daniel Kessler
Dr. Charles Miller
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Still a safe level

Although low per se, it is not so low as to be overly concerned.
Generally, if you were having an elective major surgery, you would want your level above 100, 000/cc. There are a few diseases or conditions that might lower platelet levels, but a common on is a drug-induced lowering. I would check with your pharmacist first.

In brief: Still a safe level

Dr. Charles Miller
Dr. Charles Miller
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine