My periods last three months or more. I saw a doctor who told my only choice was bc. Is that true because I planned on having a baby?

Dr. Miguel Cano

In brief: Maybe

Periods that last 3 months are not normal.
Ocps may be what your doctor is recommending until your evaluation can be completed. You should defer pregnancy until your doc evaluates you for hormone imbalance, blood disorders, uterine growths, tumors, pre-cancerous or cancerous lining of the uterus, or anything you may be at risk for. More info would help, but do go see your doctor.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Michael Mirochna

In brief: Tough choice

It sounds like you are not having a regular period.
If you are bleeding for 3 months straight, you are not likely ovulating during that time. Without ovulation, there is no way to get pregnant because there is no egg being released. I think you need to find a doctor to work with on achieving regular periods and becoming fertile. Pcos might be a problem here.

In brief: Tough choice

Dr. Michael Mirochna
Dr. Michael Mirochna
Dr. Cindy Juster