My daughter has dry cracked skin behind her ears. It hurts her when I pull lightly or wash them in the tub. What can be done to help?

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
In brief: Dry skin ears
Try emollient cream (moisturizing) during day & petroleum jelly at night.
If that helps but needs more, mix in small dab of Cortaid (hydrocortisone) but use very sparingly. If still not improved, see pediatrician.

In brief: Dry skin ears
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
In brief: Rash behind ears
The most common cause of a rash behind the ears is seborrheic dermatitis (like cradle cap when she was younger).
This rash is caused by irritation to the skin from excess oil from her sweat glands. Behind the ears and in the scalp are the most common places. You could start treatment with an over-the-counter cortisone cream, the highest strength you can get. This may do it.

In brief: Rash behind ears
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Jonathan Jassey