I have plantar fasciitis and am looking for a good shoe insert. Any recommendations?

Dr. Marjorie Delo
Sports Medicine
In brief: Superfeet
The type of insert that you should get depends on your foot type; whether you have high or low arches and how much you pronate.
However, superfeet has a variety of inserts, and some are custom moldable (heat moldable). Custom orthotics are always best, but can be expensive, so i would try the superfeet first. You could also benefit from shoes with a rigid heel counter.

In brief: Superfeet
Dr. Marjorie Delo
Dr. Marjorie Delo
Dr. Richard Blake
Many of my patients love Superfeet, but as a podiatrist I prefer working with Sole inserts or Powerstep inserts. These do not have any plastic, so I can modify them to a much greater degree in adding various supports or cushions. Dr Rich Blake
Dr. Susan Ortiz
Holistic Medicine
In brief: Look for the cause
Shoe inserts, heel cups and nocturnal splints can all be used with some success.
The other important factors are keeping a healthy weight, balancing the foot intrinsic muscles so there is no excess traction on the plantar fascia. You also need to look at other causes. Sometimes the plantar fasciitis is just a symptom and the actual cause is in the calf or even higher up on the limb. Explore.

In brief: Look for the cause
Dr. Susan Ortiz
Dr. Susan Ortiz
Dr. Adam Teichman
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle
In brief: Powerstep
There are many different kinds of inserts on the market and some are good and some are not so good.
When looking for a good insert you want one that can support the arch and not collapse when weight is applied. A couple of brands I have found to be effective are superfeet and powerstep. If you go to http://www.Eastpennfoot.Com/online-store you will find recommended inserts.

In brief: Powerstep
Dr. Adam Teichman
Dr. Adam Teichman
In brief: Inserts
The best insert is one that is made for your feet.
That means the first right thing to do is see your podiatrist for the real thing - custom orthotics that will incorporate the specific need s of your feet. X rays will be taken , biomechanical evaluation , etc

In brief: Inserts
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Dr. William Straw
In brief: Shoe Inserts
Many different inserts can be of help.
Superfeet is one such brand. If off the shelf inserts don't help, custom orthoses from a podiatrist are sometimes needed--these can be expensive and often not covered by health insurance. Best not to go barefoot or wear flipflops.

In brief: Shoe Inserts
Many different inserts can be of help.
Dr. William Straw
Dr. William Straw
Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care