During a coughing spell this morning I experienced a sudden sharp deep in my left buttocks could I have herniated a disk?

In brief: Possible

Besides disk buttock muscle ligament tear, injury etc are possibilities.
Check with your md.

In brief: Possible

Check with your md.
Dr. Nalinaksha Joshi
Dr. Nalinaksha Joshi
Dr. Gael Yonnet
Neurology

In brief: Possibly

Such a pain could be radicular in nature, that is, the pinching of a nerve exiting from the spinal cord.
Coughing is known to increase interverterbal disk pressure. If the pain worsens or travels further down the leg, i would see a physician to get evaluated and get a referral to physical therapy to strengthen your core muscles by doing plank exercises, among others, to stabilize your back.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Gael Yonnet
Dr. Gael Yonnet
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology