Is tubal ligation major surgery? How long to recover from it?

No if done in office. Tubal ligation (occlusion) can also be done in the office setting using a scope to look inside the uterus. Tiny devices can be placed into the fallopian tubes to block them. This can be done with local anesthesia, much like having a tooth cavity filled.
Yes & No. Tubal ligation requires either major surgery (laparoscopy/post-partum mini-laparotomy) or minor surgery (essure tubal implants). Here are links to resources (http://bitly. Com/wp1hdv). Laparoscopy tubals require 2 small incisions about 1-2 inches long at belly button and "bikini-line". Recovery is 2-7 days but totally normal feeling is 2-6 weeks. Reversals requested 2%, not easy with essure.
Ligation or essure. Tubal ligation is more than minor surgery + performed laparoscopically which requires general anesthesia, this can be quite major if you have extensive bowel adhesions. Essure, a fairly recent modality + an office procedure which has largely replaced tubal ligation + achieves similar end result of permanently obstructing fallopian tube. Small capsule device is passed via cervix + uterus.
No. Tubal ligation its an out patient procedure; most of the time its done using laporascopy procedure. And patient recover quickly and back to work in 2-3 days.