I heard that mid way between periods, vaginal se, retion is thicker and signals fertility. My secretion is thickest about 5 days beore period. Whats up?

Dr. Philip Chenette
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Look for Spinn!
Cervical mucous becomes thin, stretchy, and voluminous just before ovulation.
This is called spinnbarkeit (german for stretchy and elastic). To see this, you need to look at the fluid at the cervix. Vaginal secretions are much more variable, and the changes are often described as stickiness or thickness of the mucous, since there is some thickening in the acidic vagina and after ovulation.

In brief: Look for Spinn!
Dr. Philip Chenette
Dr. Philip Chenette
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Fertility Medicine
In brief: OPK more reliable
I agree with the previous answers.
If you have regular cycles, an ovulation predictor kit (opk) is more reliable at predicting when you are most fertile in your cycle than looking at cervical mucus, vaginal secretions or basal body temperatures (bbt). If you don't have regular cycles or the opk doesn't work for you, see a reproductive endocrinologist for a fertility consultation.

In brief: OPK more reliable
I agree with the previous answers.
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Paul Williams
In brief: Thickened secretions
Probably nothing - the rule of thumb is that ovulation should occur 14 days from the first day of your menstrual period - so if you are trying to get pregnant that is your most fertile time.
However since the amount of bleeding is scant you might miss the first day - best suggestion - buy an ovulation kit - at test on day 13 and 14 to see if you are ovulating and most fertile.

In brief: Thickened secretions
Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham