Are braces and tooth extraction considered a cosmetic procedure?

To whom? Some dental insurance companies may not have covered charges for orthodontic treatment. It all depends upon the contract. Extractions for non-orthodontic purposes are usually a covered expense, but may or may not be when part of an orthodontic treatment plan. Personally, i consider correcting malocclusions both cosmetic and functional improvements.
Sometimes. Braces are sometimes done for cosmetic reasons but more frequently they are done for functional reasons, so that your bite is better and healthier, your jaw is able to function in a healthy way, and you can keep your mouth healthy for your entire life. A healthier bite will also look better.