11 doctors weighed in:

My 25lb 2 year old swallowed 1/4 tube of .25% fluoride toothpaste. Other than giving milk and watching for GI symptoms, is there anything I should do?

11 doctors weighed in
Dr. Andrew Oshiro
Pediatrics
5 doctors agree

In brief: Poison Control

With any ingestion, i often call the poison control center in las vegas.
They are staffed by very well trained individuals who have access to a computer system which usually can identify all the ingredients which are in the substance ingested. As a patient, you can call your local poison control center yourself. Poison control centers are one of the best investments of your taxpayer dollars!

In brief: Poison Control

With any ingestion, i often call the poison control center in las vegas.
They are staffed by very well trained individuals who have access to a computer system which usually can identify all the ingredients which are in the substance ingested. As a patient, you can call your local poison control center yourself. Poison control centers are one of the best investments of your taxpayer dollars!
Dr. Andrew Oshiro
Dr. Andrew Oshiro
Thank
1 comment
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Poison centers offer free, confidential medical advice 24 hours a day, seven days a week through the Poison Help Line at 1-800-222-1222. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency.
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Family Medicine
4 doctors agree

In brief: Fluoride

Because Fluoride ingestion may lead to serious gastric upset as well as a host of effects like low calcium, high potassium, nausea, vomiting, increased salivation, seizures (due to low calcium &/or magnesium) and worse (with severe poisoning), it's best to have the child seen in an er where vital signs & electrolytes can be monitored & treatment instituted.

In brief: Fluoride

Because Fluoride ingestion may lead to serious gastric upset as well as a host of effects like low calcium, high potassium, nausea, vomiting, increased salivation, seizures (due to low calcium &/or magnesium) and worse (with severe poisoning), it's best to have the child seen in an er where vital signs & electrolytes can be monitored & treatment instituted.
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Thank
Dr. Thomas Stelmach
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Emergency room

That much Fluoride ingested by a two year old is toxic.

In brief: Emergency room

That much Fluoride ingested by a two year old is toxic.
Dr. Thomas Stelmach
Dr. Thomas Stelmach
Thank
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: You are OK

Short term - you have addressed this problem properly, there should be no future problems related to this incident.
Long term - children should use a non-fluoridated infant toothpaste until they are capable of reliably rinsing and spitting. Adults and older children only need a pea sized amount of a Fluoride toothpaste.

In brief: You are OK

Short term - you have addressed this problem properly, there should be no future problems related to this incident.
Long term - children should use a non-fluoridated infant toothpaste until they are capable of reliably rinsing and spitting. Adults and older children only need a pea sized amount of a Fluoride toothpaste.
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Howard Schneider
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Jonathan Jassey
Board Certified, Pediatrics
13 years in practice
1M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors