Whats a good way for someone in a wheelchair to lose weight? I don't eat much but I have spina bifida & my stomach is up near my heart. It worries me.

Dr. Eric Levey

In brief: Use manual wheelchr

People with sb tend to have low caloric needs, so eat smaller portion sizes.
Eliminate sugary drinks such as soda or juice. Drink water. Use your manual wheelchair for exercise; stroll around your neighborhood or the mall daily. The national center on physical activity and disability website is very good and offers many recommendations for exercise, http://www.Ncpad.Org/.

In brief: Use manual wheelchr

Dr. Eric Levey
Dr. Eric Levey
Dr. William Walsh
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Small exercises

Studies of morbidly obese patients demonstrate minimization of nearly all effort.
Very thin people were nearly always moving. Doing small exercises all the time during the day will burn calories, and make you more fit (even if you are wheelchair bound). Getting light hand weights (1-2lbs to start) may be the most you can do - but it is a start. Good luck!

In brief: Small exercises

Dr. William Walsh
Dr. William Walsh