Is skin biopsy a very common procedure?

Very. This simple procedure is usually done in an office setting using local anesthesia. The sample is analyzed by a pathologist and/or the surgeon. Excisional biopsy of large lesions and immediate reconstruction can be done under local or with sedation or general anesthesia.
Yes. Skin biopsies are routinely performed by dermatologists and primary care doctors on a regular basis. It is one of the most commonly performed procedures in a dermatologists office. If a doctor recommends a biopsy, you should always be given a reason for it. A second opinion can be requested prior to allowing a biopsy if you feel it is unnecessary.