Are any special tests needed, or can a regular doctor see me for my skin darkening?

Start w/ regular doc. They might be able to tell you if your condition is due to a medicine, a rash, asensitivity to light (photosensitivity) or to an endocrinologic condition like thyroid disease, addison's disease, cushing's disease, or acanthosis nigricans.