Are there some genetic reasons I get angioedema off and on?

Dr. Douglas Johnston
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Could be
Hae or hereditary angioedema is a genetic swelling disease due to deficiency or dysfuntion in a protein called c1 inhibitor. Typical symptoms include recurrent swelling without hives and unexplained abdominal pain that typically lasts 3-5 days on average.
Each child of a parent with hae has a 50% risk of having the disease and it should not skip generations. An allergist can help.

In brief: Could be
Dr. Douglas Johnston
Dr. Douglas Johnston
Dr. Steven Bowers
In brief: Could be
There is a genetic deficiency of an enzyme called c-1 esterase inhibitor that can cause recurrent attacks of angioedema.
Angioedema may also be acquired or idiopathic, meaning we don't know the cause.

In brief: Could be
Dr. Steven Bowers
Dr. Steven Bowers
Dr. Richard Roberts
Clinical Genetics
In brief: Rarer than by chance
laboratory testing excludes the rarer genetic form, leaving a diagnosis of non-hereditary angioedema.
It is a puffy allergic reaction, and responds to prednisone and antihistamine. I had angioedema for 10 years against jalapeños, finally disappeared. Various parts of my body (only 1 at a time) would swell up in an hour or two. My upper lip could almost triple in size. Beware pharynx swelling!

In brief: Rarer than by chance
Dr. Richard Roberts
Dr. Richard Roberts