How can I reduce my chances of becoming infected with viruses that can lead to viral meningitis?

Hygiene. Well...Meningitis is incredibly rare. The best way to prevent viral infections is frequent hand washing and hygiene. Unfortunately, unless you live in complete isolation in a sterile environment, you will get viral infections at some point.
Reduce exposure. Depending if they have a preference(aka tropism) for tissue found specifically in the central nervous system, a number of viruses can potentially cause meningitis. Though it is impossible to eliminate all chances, you can reduce it with certain viruses that are transmitted by vectors like mosquitoes (west nile, eastern equine encephalitis, dengue) and by safe sex practices/abstinence (hiv, hsv).
Vaccination. Meningitis is becoming more common, although rare, particularly in tight quarters such as college dorms. Meningococcal vaccines protect against most types of meningitis, but they do not prevent all cases.