I have braces, the gums around my molar where the metal band is smells really bad and are swelling. What can I do?

Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: Water PIK

Have your orthodontist take a look.
Homecare can be challenging w braces. In addition to brushing, a water pic is great in areas difficult to floss.

In brief: Water PIK

Have your orthodontist take a look.
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dr. Pooja Saroha
Add a floride rinse to prevent decay .
Dr. Lawrence Kessler
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Get a cleaning

Sounds as if you aren't keeping the area as clean as possible also the band may be irritating the gum and keeping food particles there see your dentist to evaluate what is happening and show you what you have to do to control the problem.

In brief: Get a cleaning

Dr. Lawrence Kessler
Dr. Lawrence Kessler
Dr. Gregory LaMorte
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Help

Have the orthdontist check it.
Are you under the care of a periodontist? Are you having regular cleanings and probings to make sure your braces are not causing a periodontal problem? During adult ortho, the above is rather routine.

In brief: Help

Have the orthdontist check it.
Dr. Gregory LaMorte
Dr. Gregory LaMorte
Dr. Marsha Davis