What are the signs and symptoms of viral meningitis?

Aseptic. Meningitis is an inflammation of the outer coating of the brain. A spinal tap will show inflammatory cells in spinal fluid. Bacteria will be seen and cultured if present. If nothing grows it is considered aseptic. This usually means that a virus is the cause. Special tests and cultures may or may not identify the virus. Viruses may infect the brain itself causing encephalitis.
Viral meningitis. The symptoms are similar to a bacterial meningitis - headache, nausea, vomiting, pain in the eyes from light, stiff neck, and fever. The spinal tap will show the difference between a bacterial and a viral infection, which often is very uncomfortable, but does not require more serious treatments. Some with viral meningitis will need IV fluids, pain medications, and medication for fever.