Are any special tests needed, or can a regular doctor see me for my itp?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Hematologist

Most doctors can recognize and diagnose itp (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura).
It is usually managed by hematologists because they have specific training and have experience in that area. Experience matters.

In brief: Hematologist

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
David Miller

In brief: Go to the ER!

If you indeed have idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (itp), you need to run, not walk, to your nearest er right now!

In brief: Go to the ER!

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Barry Rosen
To clarify Dr. Miller's advice...ITP causes a low platelet count which may lead to bleeding problems. However, in the absence of any symptoms or trauma, this does not require any emergency management.
Dr. Marsha Davis