What can I do if my foot hurts, how can I tell if it's a sprain or stress fracture?

In brief: Stress Fracture???

It could be a fracture (broken bone) a sprain (torn ligaments) or a strain (stretched out ligaments).
Have a physical exam by a podiatrist to make sure which one it is and follow the treatment recommendations. Sometimes, just a compressive wrap is needed, maybe a splint or a walking boot. It's tough to say exactly without an exam.

In brief: Stress Fracture???

Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: X-ray

Swelling may last a long time following a foot or ankle injury.
An x-ray can show if there is an underlying fracture. You may have a soft tissue injury if it is just a sprain and may have damaged the muscle, tendon, or ligaments in the area. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the appropriate treatment.

In brief: X-ray

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine