Is herpes encephalitis contagious?

Dr. Harry Greenberg
Dermatology

In brief: Typically not

Herpes encephalitis is a rare condition- I do not know it to be contagious- it is very serious and needs to be treated aggressively.

In brief: Typically not

Dr. Harry Greenberg
Dr. Harry Greenberg

In brief: Not really

Herpes virus types 1 and 2 are contagious, mainly by direct contact with an infected person's sores.
A never-infected person, without protective antibodies, could catch herpes from a patient with herpes encephalitis, but he would likely just get a typical herpes infection and future recurrences of sores. It is very unlikely that he would get herpes encephalitis, because encephalitis is quite rare.

In brief: Not really