I had a lumbar laminectomy over a year ago. The nerve pain was resolved but I have a lot of lower back pain still. Is this normal?

Dr. Bikash Bose
Neurosurgery

In brief: Disc disease

Not normal.Should try back rehab/core strengthening.
See your specialist if it persists.80 percent of our wt is transmitted down the front of the spine along the discs and this may be weakened. May require stabilization if severe and does not get better with conservative treatment.

In brief: Disc disease

Dr. Bikash Bose
Dr. Bikash Bose
Dr. Douglas Linville II
Laminectomy addresses the pinched nerve pain (down legs) but not arthritic pain. Arthritis usually can be managed nonsurgically.
Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Neurosurgery

Post-laminectomy back pain is a common problem. It is best addressed with weight loss, core strengthening (exercise, physical therapy, etc), and regular stretching.
See you physician for an exam to assure no other details are missing.

Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Dr. Eric Weisman