My wife thinks I should see someone for my pyelonephritis. Should i?

David Miller

In brief: Absolutely

Pyelonephritis, if not treated properly, can lead to urosepsis (a blood infection with bacteria from the urogenital tract), which can be fatal.
In a male, pyelonephritis is rather uncommon. You should double-check your diagnosis and make sure you don't actually have prostatitis, which can also be quite serious.

In brief: Absolutely

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student

Pyelonephritis is a serious infection of the kidney.
It is associated with fevers and pain. It requires aggressive treatment with antibiotics especially if one is diabetic since the infection can progress with uncontrolled diabetes. In serious cases, patients are hospitalized for several days to receive IV antibiotics.

Dr. Moez Khorsandi
Dr. Moez Khorsandi
Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: Of course ASAP

Pyelonephritis can be very serious, if you really have it.
You need to be on antibiotics asap as soon as you have a urine culture "cooking" to make sure you are on appropriate antibiotics. Then you need to be fully evaluated. Good luck.

In brief: Of course ASAP

Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Vicken Poochikian