How long can I wait with lower leg swelling to see if it goes away without seeing a doctor?

Dr. John Landi
Phlebology

In brief: Leg Swelling.

It is not normal to have leg swelling and there are many potential causes of leg swelling.
It also makes a difference in the diagnosis if the swelling is in one leg or both legs. If you have swelling unexplained then you should have an evaluation sooner rather than later. If there is no improvement in unexplained leg swelling over 48 hours then I would recommend seeing your physician.

In brief: Leg Swelling.

Dr. John Landi
Dr. John Landi
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Not too long

It may be due to edema - accumulation of fluid but you need to be evaluated for the cause.
It could be medications, medical diseases, varicose veins to name a few. There are other things including blood clots in the legs and this needs immediate attention.

In brief: Not too long

Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine