My brother says I should get treated because once in a while I get temporomandibular joint syndrome? Is he right?

In brief: What symptoms

Your brother may be right, but depends upon what your symptoms are and the cause and duration.
I would see a dentist or a tmj/tmd specialist, because your "occasional" once in a while symptoms may become chronic and not go away.

In brief: What symptoms

Dr. Sean MacKenzie
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Maybe

If you have recurrent pain problems in the jaw, it should be evaluated by a dentist or ent, to ensure it is tmj, or what the diagnosis is.
Most of the time, it is treated without surgery.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Maybe

If your symptoms are minimal and don't bother you much, no treatment needed.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. William Forsythe