Is the botox injections a risky thing to do?

Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Botox is safe
Botulinum toxin (dysport, botox, etc) is a very predictable and safe procedure when done by an experienced physician.
Any procedure carries risks (just like riding in a car) but those risks are quite small. Seek out a qualified facial plastic surgeon. He/she will be able to discuss the risks of Botox injections and answer all your questions.

In brief: Botox is safe
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Joshua Fox
Dermatology
In brief: Botox is safe
When used for cosmetic purposes there have not been any fatalities.
When given in large dosages for other conditions - not cosmetic - there has been a few isolated fatalities. Your dermatologist will be able to review with you the small risks associated with it's usage.

In brief: Botox is safe
Dr. Joshua Fox
Dr. Joshua Fox
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery
In brief: Not at all
Droopy eyelid can happen.

In brief: Not at all
Droopy eyelid can happen.
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: No
Botox injection, when performed by an experienced physician, is a very safe procedure.

In brief: No
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Humberto Palladino
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Botox is safe
In general Botox injections are very safe.
Always look into the credentials of your physician. I recommend a board certified specialist.

In brief: Botox is safe
Dr. Humberto Palladino
Dr. Humberto Palladino
Dr. Adam Bodian
Dermatology
In brief: No
Botox, Dysport or xeomin (incobotulinumtoxin a) is only risky if performed by a poorly trained physician.
Many professionals are simply trying to inject Botox to make extra money but have no care about their patients. Experience is another key to successful Botox injections. You want your dr to be able to treat any side effects too. I always tell my patients that you don't want to bargain when it comes to your body!

In brief: No
Dr. Adam Bodian
Dr. Adam Bodian
Dr. Janet Turkle
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Safe
I agree with dr fox.
Botox has a very strong safety profile when used in the proper way for cosmetic applications. The duration of action is between 2-4 months. Seek treatment from well trained providers.

In brief: Safe
I agree with dr fox.
Dr. Janet Turkle
Dr. Janet Turkle
Dr. Jeffrey Rosenthal
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Safe in good hands
Any product can be used improperly if the injector using it is improperly trained.
In general, the risks are very few and the results yield a balanced and rested facial appearance. Botox is usually placed in the upper facial muscles. Slightly riskier when injected around the mouth. Best results are when the areas injected are smoothed out and not overly done.

In brief: Safe in good hands
Dr. Jeffrey Rosenthal
Dr. Jeffrey Rosenthal
In brief: Actually very safe
Only issue I have encountered in treatment of migraines and neck dystonia is occasional lack of efficacy, and sometimes loss of prior efficacy.
If dosed too high could cause some muscle weakness, but this wears off after several weeks. Seems very safe if protocols are followed.

In brief: Actually very safe
Dr. H. William Song
Aesthetic Medicine
In brief: Usually not
If performed by a properly trained and experienced partitioner, there has never been a case of serious side effects from cosmetic use of botox.
Droopy brow and other temporary side effects are common. Headaches blurred vision and even double vision could occur but are temporary. Counterfeit products are being sold on the internet and could be dangerous.

In brief: Usually not
Dr. H. William Song
Dr. H. William Song