Will I have to get poked with a needle when I get a bunionectomy?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

This mean surgery.

This mean surgery.
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry

In brief: Yes.

The good news is, you may not even remember it being done.
Many surgeons use a sedative to induce sleepiness and forgetfulness at the time of the surgery, so you may sleep right through having your foot numbed up, and not remember anything unpleasant afterward. (though I should also confess that the sedative comes through an iv--another needle stick.).

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry

If you are having surgery you will require some form of anesthesia and therefore at the very least an iv.
Surgeons also perform either a preoperative block or a postoperative block (both of these are done while you under anesthesia) to provide you with several hours of post operative local anesthesia. And, in some cases, you may receive something called regional anesthesia - a specialized block.

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Under sedation

Usually the local anesthesia is injected after the anesthesiologist has given you intravenous sedation.

In brief: Under sedation

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat

Unless you are absent of sensation in your foot due to severe peripheral neuropathy.

Dr. Ronald Oberman
Dr. Ronald Oberman
Dr. Keegan Duchicela