How long can I wait with back pain to see if it goes away without seeing a doctor?

Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Pain Management
In brief: See pain specialist
Each person needs to be evaluated on an individual basis.
There can be several reasons for your pain. While it can certainly resolve on its own in several weeks, why wait. I advocate treating to decrease inflammation, reduce pain, increase function and quality of life. A thorough physical exam and diagnostic studies will help determine what treatment will be best depending on your diagnosis.

In brief: See pain specialist
Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
Pain management is useful if it helps you to move normally while you heal. If you smoke, you must stop. What ever type of activity/lifestyle produces the damage to your back must be modified. OMT helps many folks. PT for a core strengthening, yoga type stretching home exercise program that incorporates proper breathing/body awareness is the pathway that I have seen the most success. Patience!
Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Back pain
Most back pain will go away on its own, but it can take anywhere from 1 to 6 weeks.
If you can still get around, you'll probably be ok with just otc ibuprofen. Usually the only treatment a doctor provides is stronger pain medication. There is generally no reason to get an xray or other fancier imaging test unless the pain has lasted for 6 weeks or longer. If you can't move at all, see an md.

In brief: Back pain
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. David Bozak
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: No exact amount
Low back pain that doen't get better with over the counter meds in a couple weeks should probably get checked out.
Sooner if there are any other symptoms like leg weakness, bowel/bladder changes, or pain that wakes you up at night.

In brief: No exact amount
Dr. David Bozak
Dr. David Bozak