Are you able to examine your own prostate? And my nan has had breast cancer so should I get examined?

No way. The prostate is far inside the anus. It can be hard even for a physician to examine. Don't even think of trying to examine it yourself. It would not mean anything to you even if you could reach it.
See your doctor. It is not a good idea to try to examine your own prostate, let your doctor do it. Breast caner in males is rare and you could do self examination to see if there are any lumps, nipple discharge, discoloration, edema or rash.