When I lean back I get this football shaped bulge in upper abdominal area, about size of football also, which gets very tender what could it be?

Abdominal Hernia. It could very easily be an abdominal wall hernia. Or it is a swollen organ such as the liver. In any event, if you have pain please get this evaluated in person at your doctor's office.