My wife thinks I should see someone for my cough medicine abuse. Should i?

Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Cough medicine abuse

Yes. Like any addiction, this one is hard to beat, particularly because it is so easy to get cough medicine over-the-counter. Seeing either a physician or a counselor, will help you to understand the problem, its symptoms, the harm it can do, and how to get control of it.
There is no major cure. You have to work with someone who understands the disease.

In brief: Cough medicine abuse

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. John Moranville

In brief: Abuse vs addiction

Abuse implies inappropriate use.
Any substance used inappropriately or in excess can have very serious consequences. Addiction implies physical and/or psychological dependence and craving. Addiction is more severe, but both require professional help. You should see someone who specializes in addictions to help you explore the reasons you are abusing the cough medicine.

In brief: Abuse vs addiction

Abuse implies inappropriate use.
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Yes...

Without knowing what cough medicine you are abusing, it is difficult to give specific advice.
But, any medicine that you are taking inappropriately needs to be stopped and you may need help to do so. See your doctor so you can be guided as to the best way to stop this medicine. Good luck!

In brief: Yes...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology