Is facial nerve paralysis painful?

Sometimes. Sometimes facial paralysis can have pain if it is caused by a virus. This can be called ramsey hunt syndrome. Also, many bell's palsy patients describe "pins and needles" sensation for unclear reasons.
Typically not. Isolated facial nerve paralysis is not associated with pain, as opposed to trigeminal neuralgia which typically causes pain but no weakness. If you have both pain and weakness, the possibility of an inflammatory or mechanical process affecting both nerves needs to be considered. These can be dangerous, and should be evaluated as soon as possible.