Are any special tests needed, or can a regular doctor see me for my chronic liver disease?

Dr. Frederick Shieh
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Gi specialist
It really depends on the provider and type of liver disease, but it is probably a good idea to see a gastroenterologist who can tell you for sure what you need.

In brief: Gi specialist
Dr. Frederick Shieh
Dr. Frederick Shieh
David Escobar
In brief: PCP Okay
Your primary care physician (pcp) should be able to help you manage your chronic liver disease.
However, he/she may want to send you to a specialist for a liver biopsy if it's felt that this is needed to examine the progression of the disease. Otherwise, liver function tests are just blood tests that your pcp can order and interpret with you.

In brief: PCP Okay
David Escobar
David Escobar
Answer assisted by David Escobar, Medical Student
Dr. Marsha Davis