Is it safe to take wellbutrin sr and Xanax (alprazolam) together daily and can I take them at the same time? I'm also worried about my seizures. Will i be ok?

Dr. Gary Greenly

Wellbutrin, is a commonly prescribed antidepressant, now gone generic due to age.
Xanax (alprazolam) is also "well aged" and is available in the generic form Alprazolam wellbutrin, as is the case with all rx drugs, must report every possible side effect. Dont read the package insert and follow your drs advise. The combination should be fine and work well. My advise is to not read the package insert, .

Dr. Gary Greenly
Dr. Gary Greenly
Dr. Andrew Reeves
Neurology

In brief: Usually Ok

But you really need to have good communication with your prescribing doctor. All drugs have risks and side effects.
All. But... Not taking meds has effects, too! so, you and your doctor need to with the pros and cons.

In brief: Usually Ok

Dr. Andrew Reeves
Dr. Andrew Reeves
Dr. Bassam Amawi

In brief: I agree with other

Doctors , that u can take both of them , but I do not advise u to take xanax (alprazolam) on daily basis , to avoid addictions.

In brief: I agree with other

Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. James Okamoto

In brief: Yes if no seizures

Wellbutrin (bupropion) is generally a safe medication, however i would not take it if there is a personal history of seizures, as it can lower what is known as the seizure threshold.
I.E. If you are prone to seizures, this medication will make it easier to have a seizure. If you have never had seizures before, then i would not worry about it.

In brief: Yes if no seizures

Dr. James Okamoto
Dr. James Okamoto
2 comments
Dr. Donald Jacobson
San X and Wellbutrin maybe taken together at the same time. One of the dangers with the combination however is that if you ever suddenly run out of Xanax and are still on Wellbutrin then your risk of seizures goes up greatly. For my patients I don't like to use this combination generally and prefer to use a medication with a long half-life such as Clonopin or Valium.
Dr. James Okamoto
Dr. Jacobson has a good point. If you are needing to take a benzodiazepine on a daily basis, you should never stop suddenly. If you decide to lower the dose or discontinue the medicine, you should always do so under the direction of your physician to avoid side effects.