Is it normal for someone who is bipolar to have thoughts of suicide? I never thought I would plan on overdosing on pills, even how short it lasted.

Dr. Valentin Drezaliu

In brief: No

Suicidal thoughts are never normal.
This thoughts are really dangerous, specially when are ignored over time. You should see a psychiatrist and discuss in detail all this.

In brief: No

Suicidal thoughts are never normal.
Dr. Valentin Drezaliu
Dr. Valentin Drezaliu
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Rough Deal

It sounds like you've really been going through some rough times.
It really isn't "normal" for anyone to contemplate suicide, but it does happen more for folks with mental illnesses, such as bipolar disorder. With regard to my patients, i want to know immediately if one of them felt suicidal. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, right? Can you seek some help, right away?

In brief: Rough Deal

Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Daryl Tanski

In brief: Not normal

The presence of bipolar disorder increases the risk of suicide over that of the general population and of those diagnosed with major depressive disorder national suicide prevention lifeline '1-800-273-talk (8255).

In brief: Not normal

Dr. Daryl Tanski
Dr. Daryl Tanski
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine