What does it mean if im having a hard time conceiving but I had 5 kids before?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: 2ndary infertility?

It is rare to develop infertility after having children unless a new condition occurs, eg, an infection blocking the tubes.
One thing that affects us all and might be a factor is advancing maternal age. It does become more difficult to conceive as one enters her 30s and especially 40s.

In brief: 2ndary infertility?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
3 comments
Dr. Carolyn Quist
Could also be the male partner. Both need to be evaluated.
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
I agree with all of the above answers. I would just like to add that certain food additives like polysorbate 80, bisphenol a, and titanium dioxide have been reported to produce some degree of either male or female infertility. Some are known or established hormone disruptors which can produce secondary infertility. The key is to be aware of what's in your food or supplements.
Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Some Change

Sometimes it can be easy to conceive and then harder the next time or vice versa.
It is important to consider whether something occurred during your last delivery that could affect things. For instance a cesarean may cause scarring of a fallopian tube. Or an infection after your delivery could affect the tubes. A woman's age can also have a large influence so it may be worth checking things out.

In brief: Some Change

Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Another factor is your partner. If you are with a new partner, he could be part of the problem.
Dr. Andrew Silverman
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Seconday infertility

Since you've already had children you have what is defined as secondary infertility.
There can be numerous reasons to explain this. The only way to know is to go thro' an infertility workup. It is likely that once the reason is found you should be able to conceive unless you are going through menopause.

In brief: Seconday infertility

Dr. Andrew Silverman
Dr. Andrew Silverman
Dr. Pam Yoder
Please weigh in on this comment on my answer by Dr. CESAR HOLGADO I agree with all of the above answers. I would just like to add that certain food additives like polysorbate 80, bisphenol a, and titanium dioxide have been reported to produce some degree of either male or female infertility. Some are known or established hormone disruptors which can produce secondary infertility....
Dr. Jonathan Jassey