Will a brace help a bunion that is early diagnosed? Does wide shoes help? What else is good for early diagnosed help

Dr. Wenjay Sung
Podiatry

In brief: No

No, studies have shown orthotics do not prevent bunions.
Custom inserts help restrict excessive motion or off load painful areas of the foot. They do not prevent bunions from growing. Sorry. Bunions are most genetic (recent framington study out of england). Hope this is informative. If so, please vote or follow me. Thanks!

In brief: No

Dr. Wenjay Sung
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Welcome! If you have any other questions, please let me know. Also, if you can vote for and follow me on my profile, i'd appreciate it. thanks!

In brief: Not really

The big toe bunion braces that you see may help realign the big toe when it is on, but no real lasting benefit.
It may slow the progression, by keeping the tissues on the 2nd toe side of the big toe joint from tightening up, but effect negligible. Wide (proper fitting) shoes likewise may have some minimal effect, but should be worn to keep bunion from hurting due to shoe pressure. Orthotics may.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Robert Creighton
Dr. Robert Creighton
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine