Is it legal and/or ethical for a doctor's office to have a wall of political propaganda in the waiting room?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: It's legal
I agree. Unless the doctor works for the va/goverment office, it's legal for him/her to decorate whatever he wants in his own medical facility.
That being said, it's unprofessional and could make patients uneasy. Politics and religion can evoke very strong feeling in people and it's best to leave those outside a medical office.

In brief: It's legal
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: It's legal
Doctors have a first amendment right too.
It's probably ethical too. Most doctors have social and political views, but they don't routinely discuss them with patients. For example, i think my patients should know that private medicare companies are a bad choice before they get tricked into signing up for one. You have a choice of which doctor to see.

In brief: It's legal
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Gregg Albers
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Legal and needed
The first amendment allows free speech and difference of opinion.
The reason is the mixing of ideas stimulate others to understand difficult issues differently, stimulating creative solutions. There is never one right answer to any question, why not hear others and take the best ideas from others. We need better answers for our floundering health care systems. Keep discussing!

In brief: Legal and needed
Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Slade Suchecki
In brief: Actually...
More appropriate would be non partisan information regarding issues affecting your patients healthcare system, ie medicare cuts and info on how local politicians have voted regarding these issues.
See the advocacy link at www.Osteopathic.Org - inform patients and protect our profession!

In brief: Actually...
Dr. Slade Suchecki
Dr. Slade Suchecki
3 comments
Dr. Slade Suchecki
In order to protect our profession we need to inform our patients. 2007 survey by Merritt, Hawkins indicated that 57% of 1,175 doctors questioned would not recommend the field to their children. Government regulations and insurers are the cause. Patients have no the decisions being made will affect us and them. Read more: http://www.askmen.com/money/career_200/210_career.html#ixzz1mwaPp
Dr. Slade Suchecki
Who will care for them in the future? Cash only and Concierge care looks like the way things are moving. All other physcians will have to join groups or hospitals and the private solo practice will fade away.
Dr. George Valdez
In brief: No
I would let them know it makes you uncomfortable.

In brief: No
Dr. George Valdez
Dr. George Valdez
Dr. David Wishnew
It is not illegal. However, it may create an environment that some patients may perceive as hostile (considering our current political situation). Informing the physician and the practice manager may awaken them to this possibility. However, they are under no obligation to remove any political "propaganda"
Dr. Jack Hinkle