My doctor told me the reason my left knee crackles when I bend it is cuz I have permanetly damaged it. Can I undo this/protect the other knee from it?

Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Sports Medicine
In brief: Not necessarily
Recommendation would be to avoid any offending activities typically stairs, crouching etc also quad strengthening and patella stabilization braces can be helpful.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Knee injury
While you can't undo a prior injury, there are things you can do to help healing.
Exercise (walking, running, stretching, weights) is the best; it is also the best prevention. Through regular exercise and training you should certainly be able to reduce the risk of injury to your other knee. Exercise is also the best treatment and prevention of arthritis, which tends to follow injuries.

In brief: Knee injury
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine