What is holistic medicine ?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
In brief: Holistic Medicine
At its heart, all good medicine is holistic -- whether practiced by md's, do's, or nd's.
To me it's sad when physicians of any background forget the need to attend to the whole patient in their work, and overlook the role that healing plays in patient outcomes. Relationship is essential to this process. I believe we all can do better, and that patients like you need to remind us. Thank you.

In brief: Holistic Medicine
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Theodore Cole
In brief: A philosophy
As a residency trained and board certified physician, i take a holistic approach to health care.
I prescribe medications, but also use other therapies and tests. To me it means finding the cause of problems and not just treating symptoms. There is a great deal of research available in these areas that support their effectiveness, including nutrition, vitamins/minerals, chelation, homeopathy, etc.

In brief: A philosophy
Dr. Theodore Cole
Dr. Theodore Cole
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Holistic Medicine
Is a form of healing that considers the whole person (body, mind, spirit, & emotions), to achieve optimal health & wellness.
This is achieved by gaining proper balance in life. For example, if persons suffers headaches, treatments would involve looking at modifying diet, sleep habits, medications, stress, spiritual practices, etc. , in order to bring back the balance.

In brief: Holistic Medicine
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Holistic medicine
It is the practice of medicine that takes into consideration the "whole person" in diagnosis and treatment.
The causes of pathology are addressed through diet, lifestyle and environmental factors and treatments are designed to support the body and optimize the health of the patient.

In brief: Holistic medicine
Dr. Robert Kornfeld
Dr. Robert Kornfeld
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: Marketing
Holistic medicine is a term implying that "other" practitioners focus on one aspect of health while holistic people deal with the body as a whole.
It turns out to be a front in many cases for the sale of supplements. It also has been co-opted by non-medical people like naturopaths who indicate that their approach is holistic, not like the narrowness of conventional M.D.S.

In brief: Marketing
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Quality MD's and DO's all use holistic approaches with patients. We each want the best for our patients and treat the entire person- not just part.
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care
In brief: Treats the whole pt
Holistic implies that the complete individual is treated, not just the disease.
That is, the stress, living situation, nutrition etc are taken into consideration when treating , say, the flu. This can be a good thing. Problem is it opens the door to many intuitively hoped-for but scientifically unproven theories such as ' energy imbalances or imaginary toxins., etc. Check http://NCCIH.nih.org

In brief: Treats the whole pt
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Erik Borncamp