I have consistent lower back pain, chiropractor says I have 2 lower compressed spinal disks. Should I keep going to the doctor or if not, what do I do?

Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Pain Management

In brief: Normal wear & tear

Everyone gets disc degeneration as they get older. Imagine if you had sneakers that were 20yrs old.
There probably wouldn't be much sole left. There is no way to reverse the wear and tear on the disc, but there is hope. Your best option will be exercise. Look into a beginners hatha yoga class for strength and stability. I would see a board certified pain specialist to have an evaluation.

In brief: Normal wear & tear

Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Pain Management

In brief: See pain specialist

There can be several reasons for back pain including lumbar disc degeneration, muscle inflammation, facet joint arthritis/irritation, sacroiliac joint arthritis/irritation.
Rarely a fracture or tumor. A thorough physical exam and diagnostic studies will help determine what treatment will be best depending on your diagnosis. See a board certified pain specialist. For evaluation.

In brief: See pain specialist

Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice

In brief: Stop going

If you have "compresses spinal disks" then chiropractic manipulation is not going to help.
Did you have an mri? This is the only study to image the disks? You need to see a specialist called a "pain interventionist" to be properly diagnosed.

In brief: Stop going

Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Bikash Bose
You need to see your primary doc and get some imaging studies.Then you can do PT,try injections or see a neurosurgeon or ortho spine doc
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Travel Medicine

In brief: Communicate

Low back pain due to disc disease is common and frustrating.
Treatment options include rest, pain or antiinflammation medication, and soft tissue work (chiropractic or physical therapy). If still hurting consider MRI to confirm diagnosis and physiatry to consider a local/disc "injection". Surgery should be considered for severe pain, and certainly for any weakness or bowel / bladder trouble.

In brief: Communicate

Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Eric L. Weiss