Can I take 50mg of zinc a day without any effects (long term or otherwise)? I'm nearly 21yrs old and I take it for acne trouble.

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
In brief: Zinc for acne
According to the online version of the merck manual for medical professionals "…the recommended upper limit for zinc intake is 40 mg/day.
Toxicity is rare. Ingesting doses of elemental zinc ranging from 100 to 150 mg/day for prolonged periods interferes with copper metabolism and causes low blood copper levels, RBC microcytosis, neutropenia, and impaired immunity…." best to lower your dose.

In brief: Zinc for acne
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Morgan is correct. Unless one is deficient in zinc and needs larger doses it is best to stay within the recommended daily allowance. High dose zinc hasn't been shown to be of benefit and the potential risk outweighs any benefit. Very good question.
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology
In brief: Acne and zinc
What is the zinc acne connection? There are many who believe that zinc is very useful for people having acne because it is a mineral and it has been seen to reduce the symptoms of the condition.
However there are others who do not agree to this and say that there is hardly any relationship between zinc and acne. However recent research does not agree to this view. Zinc does help acne.

In brief: Acne and zinc
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Marsha Davis