I'm 24 and have smoked for 10 years and have asthma, everday I cough up thick brown mucous, why?

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Inflammation...

Smoking is adding to the inflammation in your lungs resulting in your symptoms.
The best treatment is to stop smoking. You are putting yourself at risk for copd, lung cancer, etc. Your asthma will be easier to control once you stop smoking. See your doctor for advice on smoking cessation as well as asthma treatment.

In brief: Inflammation...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Edward Neilsen

In brief: Bronchitis

What you are describing is suspicious for chronic bronchitis.
This destroys the hairs lining the airways which help keep the lungs clean. Damage from smoking causes mucus to build up, and without those hairs, it collects in the airways. The good news....Much of this can be reversed if you quit smoking before permanent damage is done.

In brief: Bronchitis

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Shontae Buffington